Thursday, February 1, 2018

Be the Squeaky Wheel

Ethan has very few accommodations as part of his 504 plan (which went into effect when he switched out of special ed. over a year ago), but one has been to take part in a social skills group with peers.

A social skills group is vital for Ethan. Is it essential? Probably not. Realistically I'd say it's most important that he can speak, read, write, and do everything he needs to function in society. But to function well, social skills are essential. And the older kids get, the more complex and nuanced communication becomes.

If the school had no social skills group available, we'd take him somewhere else, most likely. But they do. They offered it, they put it out there. I probably wouldn't desperately fight to get him the service when there are kids out there who need more. But again -- I mentioned it, they agreed without hesitation. The schools have provided Ethan with an awesome curriculum (Social Thinking) since second grade, and it's taught him (and us) a lot.

Which is why I became pretty infuriated to find out it wasn't happening.

This isn't the first time something like this has gone on, and I know other parents have dealt with this issue, too. And I'd really love to know why.

I believe it's important to extend grace. When the school year begins, of course everyone needs to get settled in with schedules and staffing. I also understand that some weeks, things just happen -- snow days and sick days and field trips and the schedule gets turned upside down. Did I ever expect Ethan would be meeting with his group every single week from day one of school? Of course not. But recently I learned that since school started in late August, he'd gone to his group about three times. And hadn't for months.

I'd started with an email to the person running the group about three weeks after the start of school -- just a "checking in" to see when the group might be starting up. There was no response. Finally sometime in October I heard back that the group would be launching. Great. Ethan came home with a worksheet one day...and then nothing.

I sent another email. No reply. And then when we were meeting with Ethan's developmental pediatrician at the end of November and she asked if he attended a social skills group, he said no.

"What about the one at school?" I asked.

"Oh, we haven't met for a long time," was the reply.

Back to the email again. This time a few days later I magically got a response about what had gone on in the group. I got hopeful. They met up a few weeks later again. But then...you can guess how this goes. Forgive the rude analogy, but it's kind of like kicking a horse to get going, and it trots for a few steps and then slows to nothing once again.

As we moved into January and Ethan said his group still was not meeting, I realized it was time to take things up a notch. I hate doing this, for many reasons. I don't like burning bridges. I don't like having to go over someone's head. Sometimes this feels like "tattling." I'm not naturally an aggressive person. But we all get a little more aggressive, I think, when it comes to our kids and helping them to get what they need.

I wrote the principal an email and basically laid it out there -- this was unacceptable, this was not what we'd agreed upon, and something needed to change. And wouldn't you know, two days later the social skills group kicked in again. And I've received an email update on what was covered, for three weeks in a row now.

Recently Ethan mentioned in passing the other kids in the group, and that's when it really hit me -- this wasn't just affecting him. These other students had also been missing out on the group, and without my speaking up, THEY would still not be receiving the help they need, either.

When Ethan first started in school, I heard it again and again: Be the squeaky wheel. Keep on them. If they know you're involved and paying attention, they'll stay on top of things. They're more likely to give you what you want. Make sure they know you're watching, that you're going to fight for your child.

This kind of sneaky, almost combative language put me on edge. I hated the feeling of mistrust in the air. But sadly, now I understand it. And sadly, I've heard story after story after story from other parents.

I don't want to bury the schools here. I don't want to believe that they do the bare minimum, that they don't have kids' best interests at heart. I want to believe better. I just wish someone would explain to me why parents have to constantly be vigilant or fear their child won't be getting the number of speech hours they are supposed to receive, or OT, or PT, or a social skills group? Many of these children can't speak for themselves. Many parents ask for notes and don't receive them. So, how will they ever know?

Something is wrong here. The answers probably are complex.

So until this is figured out, yes, I will be the squeaky wheel, and more than that, I will encourage the parents with children who are younger, parents who are newer to this, to do the same. At the very least, if you don't want to live life as a cynic, trust, but verify. Every single time. You may be surprised what you learn.




































No comments: