Saturday, April 3, 2010

Buddies


Lately, Ethan has discovered Anna. That sounds funny, I know. Before, I would say that most of the time he tolerated her or ignored her, with some fun stretches mixed in-between. Despite any challenges he may have, they are very different, anyway. They're 3 1/2 years apart. She is loud, boisterous, crazy at times, with a bit of a temper. He is quieter, more cautious, easygoing. They have completely different interests. So it's not as if I ever expect them to be best friends. I used to actually wish they'd fight more, because that would mean they were at least interacting.

But lately Ethan has been enamored with Anna. It started with food. At the table it's as if he decided to wake up and start paying attention to what other people were eating -- particularly his sister. A few times after he was done he literally walked up to her plate where she was still chewing and stared. We figured we'd take advantage of the moment and have her share what she was eating, and it worked! Now suddenly in the past month he's eaten eggs, chicken, vegetables...the list goes on, all because Anna shared her food and we all started cheering, "Ta-DA!"

He had an appointment (outpatient OT) yesterday and Anna was off from school so she needed to come along. Normally I feel bad dragging her to these things and have her bring some toys along. But OT can be fun, and this time Diane thought it'd be great to use the swings she has and practice turn taking. Ethan for the first time was thrilled for Anna to be there and do be doing the things he has to do. He kept going over and tapping her "My Nana," which is his way of saying "Your turn" or "Anna's turn." Then he'd stand and grin from ear to ear, watching her on the swing. Usually he tolerates his OT appointment. Diane just isn't nearly as fun as his sister.

They still share a room and the past few mornings I've heard Anna singing to him at the top of her lungs. "Fire truck! Fire truck! I want to ride on a fire truck!" And because she's watched all of the different games and ideas we've tried with him, she's even said things like, "I played this new game with him mamma where Ethan has to fill in the words!" Or, "I'm going to practice egg hunt with him." I'm so proud of her, it brings tears to my eyes sometimes. I know she has leadership skills, and I also know she has a tendency to be very self-centered (even more so than the average child) and not very empathetic, so Ethan is an extra blessing to her in so many ways. He draws those good things out of her.

I love to hear them playing and laughing. Everyone says the sound of a child laughing is one of the best sounds in the world, and it's true. More than one child is even better.

And you know, sometimes the sound of them fighting is not so annoying, too. Anna got a Zhu Zhu pet last weekend and Ethan loves it. He wants it! So he keeps following her around saying, "My turn!" My turn!" while Anna protests. Some day, that will drive me crazy. But right now, it's music to my ears.

I love them both so much. There's just no other way to end this but by saying that. I love my two amazingly different blessings!!

No comments: