Thursday, June 14, 2012

Birthday Girl

Someone's turning 8 years old in a matter of days...

Three weeks old and smiling!

I could lament about where the time has gone or how eight seems a little too close to 10, and to tween, and to boy crushes rather than Lalaloopsy dolls.


Eight months

I could talk about Anna's spunk; her love of reading; her creativity; her knack for quickly problem-solving, her love for her little brother; her artistic ability.


1 year

And yes, I could note the way she tends to follow her parents' path in the area of athletic ability (I wish I could say that was a good thing), her mom's tendency to be melodramatic, about her fiestiness (read: temper) at times.

Age 2 or 3

The more Anna grows the more I realize she is everything like her parents and nothing like us. Some days, I feel as if she's the standout in the family. 


3 years


What I mean is, she's not quite like the rest of us. She's a little louder, has a bit more of a spark, is a little less laid back, is more bold, more take-charge.


First day of kindergarten, age 5


Then I realize that is just how I was as a kid: the one who had the personality a bit different than the rest of the family. I was the oversensitive one, the melancholy one, the dreamy one up in my room for hours, the one that everyone didn't always quite "get."



And thanks to Anna, now I better understand the way we can still completely love a person without completely understanding them.




A parent's love isn't just about loving someone who is just like us. Isn't that the way God loves us? Firstly and freely. Without conditions. Loving Anna helps me to remember that I too was, truly, loved unequivocally all along.


May 2012

Thank you for the reminder, Anna. Happy Birthday, sweet girl.

3 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama said...

OMG she is sooo gorgeous
Happy birthday Anna
What did you mean when you said - that she is like her parents and nothing like us - Is she adopted
( you dont have to answer that)

Deb said...

Hi there! Oh, I just meant that in some ways we are very much alike and in other ways completely different. :)

Unknown said...

That awesome Anna! Happy belated birthday, sweet girl! Wow, has she grown. I love the pictures of her from babyhood till now. May the Lalaloopsies live for many, many more years before the boy crushes!