Saturday, May 10, 2014

Possibly My Favorite Mother's Day Card Ever

hefty: adjective \ˈhef-tē\
: large and heavy: big and strong
: very large
: very forceful
(Miriam-Webster) 


"Look what I have for you," Ethan announced, pulling something out of his backpack. Right away I knew what it was, what with it being just two days before Mother's Day.

I took a look and saw this:

(To translate: "I love you so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much," complete here with a Tootsie Roll stain the card picked up later in the day that I tried to wipe off).

"Ahh Ethe, that's so sweet," I said, turning the card open, speaking with all my heart. Inside he had drawn a picture of us, and on the opposite page he had filled in the blanks on a flyer titled "Words To Describe My Mom."

Loving.
Love.
Lovely.


I could see he'd it'd been a stretch for him, trying to think of new words. It also warmed my heart that these words immediately sprang up.

Happy.
This cheered me, since I can be a pessimist, and I can be grouchy. At least in this moment of composition my son hadn't thought of me that way.

Mighty.
Woh. That seemed almost...super-hero like. We were moving into uncharted territory here, and I loved it. No one had ever called me mighty. In fact, growing up my family liked to tease me about being a wimp.

And one more. "Um, Ethe, what's this say?" I asked, squinting.

"That?" he had to look at it for a moment, too. He'd spelled it wrong. "Oh..." he said. "That's supposed to say hefty."

HEFTY?

"Hefty?!" I said, a bit too loudly.

"Yeah," he replied. "It was one of our vocabulary words..."

...which meant he knew exactly what hefty meant.

I looked down at myself, and at the ton of baby and other weight I need to lose.Well, he had a point. And it was all I could do to not start giggling.

Mighty...hefty...yeah, I was mighty hefty all right. I loved that he saw me with all my love and strength and imperfection. In that moment the weight of all of my failures as a mom temporarily lifted from my shoulders, and then I couldn't stop myself.

We laughed.





                           

 

No comments: